Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Royal weddings

Most of the time I only buy thimbles to document trips, but fairly recently something caught my eye and I just could not pass it up. There is an area on 19th street in the Houston Heights that is full of antique stores. I like to peruse these stores from time to time for anything that might catch my fancy. One day I was looking inside a jewelry case and came across a thimble that made me laugh out loud. I could not believe that thimbles were used to document events, specifically nuptials.
That is right, nuptials, and not just anyone, but Princess Diana and Prince Charles. The first time I saw this thimble I simply noted that it existed but it never crossed my mind to purchase it. Then a couple months went by and I was back in the antique store. The thimble was still there and I just could not pass it up. So I purchased a small white porcelain thimble with the happy image of marriage and an inscription on th opposite side that said ' The Royal Highnesses The Prince and Princess of Wales'. This started my wedding portrait thimbles. The next one I picked up when in Wales. It is a thimble with the face portraits of Fergie Duchess of York and Prince Andrew. Too bad it wasn't a wedding picture also.

No comments:

Post a Comment